Decluttering Your Home for 2020
The 2019 holiday season has come and gone – now that it has passed, it’s time to take a deep breath and get to cleaning your home so that you are prepped and ready to go for all that 2020 may bring. Focus on the three areas below to get you home in tip-top shape:
Seasonal items and décor-
- As you put away gifts, declutter a few items from each room.
- Take down the Christmas tree, pack up or haul away.
- Sweep up/vacuum away pine needles.
- Fix or toss broken ornaments and decorations.
- Pack away ornaments and decorations.
- Wash, fold, and put away holiday linens.
- Sort holiday photos on your computer and save to a backup drive.
Entertaining items and the guest bedroom-
- Strip the bedding in the guest room and wash.
- Wipe down the bathroom and wash towels, floor mats, and shower curtains.
- Take down and wash all the curtains throughout the house.
- Spot clean couches.
- Spot clean carpets.
- Clean your stove.
- Remove grease from your kitchen cupboards and backsplash.
- Empty and clean the refrigerator thoroughly.
- Sweep and mop underneath the refrigerator.
- Clean the baseboards in the kitchen.
- Purge expired or empty spice bottles.
- Sort utensils, get rid of any that you don’t use.
- Empty and organize the kitchen junk drawer.
As you deep clean your home, now is also a great time to change the filter on your heater and clean out your car (right after you take the items you’ve decluttered to a local donation drop off site!).