About MIBOR's LOCKBOX PROGRAM
MIBOR REALTOR® Association has partnered with SentriLock for decades as they are the leading electronic lockbox manufacturer and leading provider of property access management solutions for the National Association of Realtors®. SentriLock operates in support of Realtors® and the industry, offering an easy to use, reliable and secure system.
As we have communicated, Sentrilock recently notified us of a global shortage of raw materials for new lockboxes. It is a supply chain issue much like disruptions the nation is seeing in other sectors where microchips, resins and plastics are difficult to source. We have been advised that we will not be able to obtain our normal standing inventory. Please see below for more on this and the steps MIBOR is taking to support our members.
Additionally, effective January 1, 2022, SentriLock will no longer use key cards for lockbox access. From 2022 and beyond SentriLock will be using Bluetooth and app based technology to operate.
We understand that members are worried about cell service in rural areas once the card is retired. If you’re worried about how you can get lockbox access in remote areas without a SentriCard® and little or no cell coverage, Sentrilock has quick and easy solutions to help make sure you stay connected from wherever you are. Learn more, here.
Sentrilock Supply Chain Disruption
Sentrilock recently notified us of a global shortage of raw materials for new lockboxes. It is a supply chain issue much like disruptions the nation is seeing in other sectors where microchips, resins and plastics are difficult to source. We have been advised that we will not be able to obtain our normal standing inventory.
Thus, until this issue is resolved, any Sentrilock order received will be fulfilled subject to our current available inventory. During this time, the following guidelines have been established.
- If you have a new, unused, 3.6 Bluetooth Blue Dome Label Lockbox that is not needed, you may return that lockbox to our REALTOR® store for a full refund of the product.
- Please first email email@example.com prior to visiting the office to purchase lockbox(s) and let us know the amount of lockboxes you wish to purchase. Please keep in mind that orders received will be fulfilled based on our current inventory.
In an effort to restore their supply chain, Sentrilock has committed to a number of initiatives, including:
- Committing $5 million in capital to pre-order parts and components to support production.
- Air-shipping parts to accelerate deliveries.
- Finding alternative solutions for parts with long lead-time.
- Working overtime to meet demand when parts are available.
- Contacting Associations with excess inventory.
- Making temporary policy changes to maximize availability to all customers.
This news comes as a surprise, and we apologize for any impact this may have on your business. Please know we are doing the best we can to address this issue for you and we will provide updates on any changes to the current situation.
We appreciate your patience and understanding. For questions, please email our Membership Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have extra lockboxes or are in need of a lockbox?
Members with a large supply may want to sell some of their boxes -
The procedure to sell a lockbox to another agent-
- The agent selling the lockbox must give a bill of sale to the Primary MIBOR agent who is purchasing the box
- The bill of sale consists of the seller’s name and member number, the buyer’s name and member number, and the serial number of the lockbox
- Please then email the bill of sale to email@example.com to transfer
Additionally, in order to create an efficient marketplace, MIBOR will post available lockboxes every Tuesday, sold by other members, on our Broker Listing Cooperative "News & Alerts" section.
If you have a large supply of the 3.6 Bluetooth Blue Dome Label Lockbox (this is the newest generation) and would like MIBOR to post to our "News & Alerts" section, please follow the directions below.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the number of 3.6 Bluetooth Blue Dome Label Lockboxes you have to sell. Please be sure to include the price per item and your contact information.
- After a sell has been made, please follow the directions above on how to sell a lockbox to another agent
- Once MIBOR receives a bill of sale, we will remove your sale items from our weekly posts
- MIBOR will update the post every Tuesday morning
- Will SentriLock consider delaying retiring the SentriCard in light of the supply chain challenges?
Delaying depreciation of the SentriCard is being considered by SentriLock among many other options to ensure minimal marketplace disruption caused by the supply chain issues. MIBOR is monitoring the situation and is in regular communication about the most appropriate options.
- What is a Lockbox?
A lockbox holds the key for a house that is on the market. The lockbox is a padlock or rectangularly-shaped box that generally hangs around the doorknob of a house that is on or about to be on the market. The box provides communal access for real estate agents, while continuing to keep the home secure. Permission is generally required from the seller, who is the owner, to install a lockbox.
Newer versions of real estate lockboxes operate in tandem with mobile devices, incorporating logging and remote control and configuration. They replace older lock boxes that were secured either with a manual key, a security code, or a swipe card.
Starting in 2022 SentriLock, the official lockbox partner of MIBOR, will no longer use key cards for lockbox access. From 2022 and beyond SentriLock will be using Bluetooth and app based technology to operate.
- How do I Ensure the App Works with No Cell Service?
All users should open their SentriKey® Real Estate app each day before leaving home or the office by launching the SentriKey® Real Estate app on your mobile device. By authenticating in this manner, your credentials are good for 24 hours. By doing so, when interacting with the SentriLock Bluetooth® lockbox, it requires only a Bluetooth connection to open the key door, even if you're out of cell coverage.
- How do I access a non-Bluetooth (navy blue) lockbox without a SentriCard® Key?
Despite the retirement of the SentriCard®, all previous generations of SentriLock’s® lockboxes can continue to be accessed, including those without Bluetooth® connectivity, by using the SentriKey® Real Estate app. Non-Bluetooth NXT lockboxes can be accessed through app-generated codes entered via the lockbox keypad.
The process for accessing non-Bluetooth NXT lockboxes without a SentriCard® is the same in areas with no cell phone coverage. However, obtaining access requires more advanced planning and you may not always know in advance if you are going to an area with no cell phone coverage. Non-Bluetooth lockboxes can still be accessed through app-generated codes entered via the lockbox keyboard. However, you would need to generate the code before you go to the property and lose cell coverage.
- Why is SentriLock retiring the SentriCard® on January 1, 2022?
SentriLock serves over 400,000 REALTORS® across the US and has been providing its card enabled lockboxes for 17 years. SentriCards®, while innovative at the time of introduction, represent a technology that is reaching the end of its life cycle. SentriLock has experienced numerous trends as cards approach the end of their utility, such as:
- Industry-wide difficulty in acquiring key components that go into the use of cards.
- An inability to develop new, highly desirable features that will work with cards.
- The natural migration of customers to the superior Bluetooth® connectivity and app-only environment.
- With these factors in mind, SentriLock is compelled to begin the process of retiring the card interface as part of their lockbox services. It will help make sure that SentriLock customers are on the best, most updated technology to meet their needs.
- Why Should I upgrade my lockbox to a Bluetooth version?
In today’s fast paced market, your client expects their home will be easy to show to potential buyers. The Bluetooth accessible lockboxes do not require any cell phone or Wi-Fi coverage to connect with the SentriKey® Mobile App. Therefore, if you are in an area lacking coverage, but you own a Bluetooth accessible lockbox, you will not be locked out from your lockbox.
Non-Bluetooth lockboxes, on the other hand, would require you to download a code on your phone ahead of time, before losing cell phone coverage. With this in mind, it is crucial to have the best lockbox technology to ensure a smooth showing experience. Additionally, the navy blue Non-Bluetooth lockboxes can ONLY be taken ownership with a sentricard.
- What should SentriCard® users do now?
If you are a SentriCard® user, you should start to transition to the SentriKey® Real Estate mobile app. Over three-quarters of SentriLock lockbox accesses in 2019 were through the app. The app enhances the user experience and offers dozens of features, including:
- No need for card renewals – ever!
- Immediate notifications when someone enters and leaves a property.
- The ability to use Touch ID and Facial Recognition to streamline the access process.
- Property details through SentriLock’s® listing detail partners.
- More features with the app – Agent Safety, report key missing, and listing agent information.
- Is there a way to recycle my old non-Bluetooth NXT lockboxes? MIBOR is researching recycling companies where non-Bluetooth NXT lockboxes can be recycled and will share that information at a later time.
- The card works for me, why should I switch?
MIBOR understands that while you may still want the SentriCards®, the SentriKey® Real Estate App allows for a more accessible and quicker way to navigate your on the market needs. The upgrade will save you time and make it easier to manage business with your clients. SentriKey® is moving forward with retiring the SentriCards® by January 1, 2022 meaning the cards will no longer be functional. It is important to transition from the card to the app prior to the retirement date, to ensure your business does not come to a halt in 2022.
- Which jurisdictions offer access rights (Reciprocity) on your SentriKey System?
MIBOR Broker Listing Cooperative subscribers receive full reciprocity access to Sentrilock lockboxes of members of Greater Northwest Indiana Association of REALTORS® (GNIAR), Terre Haute Area Association of REALTORS® (THAAR) and the Indiana Regional MLS (IRMLS).
- Is there a way to recycle my old non-Bluetooth NXT lockboxes?
MIBOR is researching recycling companies where non-Bluetooth NXT lockboxes can be recycled and will share that information at a later time.