Maximizing Space in a Small Kitchen
We have all heard it said before…the kitchen can make or break a home and many homes come with kitchens that are less than ideal. It becomes even more challenging when you don’t have much space to work with. Use these tips to set up a kitchen that lets your inner chef shine.
- Make room
- Sounds simple, right? You can create extra space even when it seems impossible. Over the sink covers, cutting boards and colanders help increase your workspace.
- Go vertical
- Maybe it’s a pegboard over the stove to hang pots and pans, or a magnetic knife rack on the wall spaces under cabinets or above sinks.
- Use bookcases
- Small bookcases work great in kitchens. They are narrow, come in all heights and they offer tons of storage options.
- Add art and color
- Don’t forget to personalize your kitchen – art and color are simple ways to add your touch to the kitchen and help your eyes rest in a small space.
- Cover eyesores
- Cover exposed sink pipes with curtains, hide that old microwave under the counter, cover old, unsightly floors with kitchen rugs/mats.
- Upgrade lighting
- Lighting in a kitchen is hard to get right but can really make a difference in the room. Upgrading bulbs and cleaning light covers will make a difference right away. Also, consider adding adhesive underlighting to better illuminate your work space.