Peony Season in Indiana
After purchasing my home 4 years ago and immediately planting as many peony bushes as I could fit in my yard, I am so thrilled that it’s that time of year again – it’s Peony season! This bloom, the state flower of Indiana, is a perennial Instagram favorite and will put a smile on anyone’s face.
After letting my plants grow the past few years, I’m so looking forward to more blooms this season to share with family and friends. So let’s talk about how to keep your stems, once cut from your garden or purchased from the store, in prime condition. Here are some tips:
- Wipe bloom with warm water to wipe away any remaining sap on the flower’s petals
- Keep peonies away from direct sunlight and radiators, as well as fruit which can release gases that will make your flowers fade faster
- For store bought blooms, trim stems 1-2 inches so flowers can hydrate quickly. Retrim the stems by a ½ inch every few days
- Flowers don’t like drinking dirty water, so to extend the life of your blooms, change the water in your vase every few days.
- Choose a vase or container with a narrow neck to prop up and support the stems – this will make your flowers look fuller as well!
- Play with height by cutting some stems shorter than the others to create layers and add visual interest.
Keep these tips in mind and you’ll create a gorgeous, one-of-a-kind floral arrangement – perfect for you, your loved one, or a client!